A Letter From Mr. Dockham:
We are excited about the opportunity to help your 8th grade student find the right high school for them and transition without worry or struggle. The 8th grade year is an important year for students as they prepare to transfer into new high schools the following year. Choosing a high school for your child can be a difficult decision, and we would like to make you aware of some important guidelines and events to help make the process easier. Please be aware of the following:
1. Many high schools will not accept a student that has been suspended within the last two years and for some it will be within the last year. Discipline and attendance profiles will be a part of the application packet that will need to be submitted for admission into the high school.
2. Your student will need to have earned all passing grades and have successfully completed the 8th grade. Transcripts will need to be submitted with the application.
3. Some of the schools will require placement testing and personal interviews as a part of their application process.
4. One to two teacher recommendations will also be required with the application packet. It is generally requested that these letters be submitted in a sealed envelope and signed by the writer on the sealed flap.
5. They may also require copies of MEAP testing results.
Lastly, please be looking for our parent night and student high school field trip events starting in January of each year. The parent night is an opportunity to hear representatives from multiple high schools share what they have to offer your child. It will also be a chance to speak to representatives and collect valuable information that will help you choose the right school for your student. The 8th grade students will also take field trips to several schools. They will have the opportunity to tour campuses, meet teachers and see where they might attend school the following school year.
If you have any questions or would like to set up an appointment please contact:
Lloyd Dockham, LMSW
Richfield Public School Academy
(810) 736-1281 ext. 226
What choices are available to your 8th grade student?
Below are links to schools you and your student may consider as you begin thinking about their educational future (click the school’s name to access each school’s Website):
Mott Middle College
Mott Memorial Building – Room 1102
1401 East Court Street
Flint, MI 48503
Phone: (810) 232-8531
Fax: (810) 232-8660
Genesee Intermediate School District – Genesee Early College
2413 West Maple Avenue
Flint, Michigan 48507-3493
Phone: (810) 591-5115
Fax: (810) 591-2503
Carman Park – Baker Career Academy
3375 Van Campen Road
Flint, MI 48507
Phone: (810) 591-3620
Fax: (810) 591-3795